Monday, July 18, 2011

Heritage Wheat Baking

On July 14 and 15th Elisheva Kaufman held a grain conference in Massachusetts.  Having met before, she wanted to include a brick oven building and firing workshop in the program and asked me to bring my portable oven.

Each time I see the sheaves of ancient wheat which she and the other presenters are avidly propagating and promoting, the promise of loaves of bread such as my ancestors tasted comes into the present.

If you go to www.growseed.org you can access the roster of speakers and much more of the activities that occured last week.

Special varieties of wheat are becoming more available to the artisan baker and bread enthusiasts alike.
Don Lewis of Wild Hive Farm in New York whom I met and baked with, mills dozens of varieties of grain.
www.wildhivefarm.com
 www.growseed.org

No comments:

Post a Comment