Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Then and Now


This ruin in County Clare, Ireland on a 'soft' morning in March was photographed by me just as one of the common local hares unconsciously ran towards me, stopped in its tracks and did an about-face.

I have found that people have a attraction (perhaps even a fascination) with old stuff.
In the world of stone, ruins offer some of the most attractive examples of what is left when the beams, rafters, and roofs have fallen.


The garden house constructed by me this past summer incorporates some of the visual qualities found in northern European stone buildings.





The brick oven in Audrix, France, which I get to visit when I'm in the Perigord,  is an example of local stone work incorporating worked limestone and rough fieldstone with concealed mortar joints.

Having cultural models like these adds to my visual vocabulary when designing brick ovens, stone buildings, and outdoor environments that give the owners a taste of the 'old stuff'.

No comments:

Post a Comment