Saturday, January 25, 2014

Sub-Zero Brick Oven

I've just returned from one of the coldest parts of the country (lower 48) where I built a residential brick oven core.







Aside from using every trick to keep the mortar and materials (not to mention me) from freezing, I incorporated combustion air chambers and the custom damper system that my welder and I have designed.

The location, near Potsdam, NY dropped to lower than minus 30 while I was there. 
pot heater inside the woodbox area
Now, back home, I'm preparing for projects lined up for the spring, including a new French style portable oven that I will take to the Northern New England Home and Garden Show for chefs to demonstrate brick oven cooking.

combustion air channels left and right

1 comment:

  1. So how did you keep the mortar from freezing? minus 30 is insane!

    -NY Brick Oven Co.

    ReplyDelete