Saturday, February 23, 2019

Arometo: Best Pizza Ever

I've made hundreds of pizzas, in my own brick oven and in others.  To say, I recently made the best ever pizza may either show that I'm way late in arriving, or that, simply, my tastes have changed.



Parsley, Rosemary, Black Pepper, Oregano, Basil (frozen fresh with oil), Lemon Zest 

 I have a book: "Diary of a Tuscan Chef" by Cesare Casella and Eileen Daspin.  It traces both Chef Cesare's connection to family cooking traditions and his dedication and joy in having his menus follow the seasons.  As it is copyright 1998, his farm-to-table philosophy puts him at the leading edge of his peers but completely within the centuries-long traditions of Europe.

So, early in the book, he describes arometo, page 15 to be exact, as a mixture of multiple herbs.   Admittedly, I seem to have elaborated in my memory and mind on the minuscule instructions given in the book.

I read the recipe: "I cup tightly packed fresh herbs (use a combination of basil, rosemary, thyme, Italian parsley, marjoram, and oregano)-- finely minced."  AS...

Mix the herbs so no one is dominant.  It doesn't say that.

BUT the result is astounding when added to the toppings on pizza.  The complexity of flavors (I add fresh ground black pepper, a bit of sage, and salt) sends a taste-opening flavor symphony to your senses.

If the current pizza you are making is anything but great, try this.  And grazie Chef Cesare!  Mille graze.


No comments:

Post a Comment