Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Brick Oven Dedication


Twelve years and forty brick ovens ago, I brought forth on an old trailer a new portable oven, conceived from used fire brick and dedicated to the proposition that all bread is not created equal.
Now I have engaged a boom truck, testing whether that oven, or any oven so conceived and so desiccated, can long endure.

I've met hundreds of people, built them ovens, far afield.  So I have come to designate a place for that first oven, as its final resting place that that hearth might live to bake more food.
Is it altogether fitting and proper to do this?

But, in a larger sense, I could not dedicate more travel-- can not allow--this oven to be sold.  I am resolved that this first oven shall not have fired in vain-- and that brick ovens, of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.




A few days ago, a boom truck arrived, picked up the 1600 pound oven and swung it onto a base I'd built last summer.

The sturdy original is home.





1 comment:

  1. David - Mike Hannon here! You offered me to buy that oven from you about 7 or 8 years ago. We baked bread out of it in Wolfeboro. I’m glad I did not buy it as it rests in the right place. I’m still passionate about brick ovens and will build one soon, I hope. Looking forward to baking with you again - or maybe building with you!
    Mike

    ReplyDelete