Friday, March 1, 2019

Brick Oven Floors

 I have frequently stressed the need for a well-insulated floor for brick ovens.  Without sufficient insulation, the heat you put into the oven floor will migrate into the slab below and be wasted (aside from messing up the bottom crust of you baked goods).


The product Foamglas is my go-to choice as it is solid, waterproof, and easily cut.  Other, clay-based products will turn to mush if wet, a major downside in outdoor situations.


As shown, a metal ruler with appropriately spaced holes makes a compass for laying out the floor and scribing dome diameters.

I lay the floors in herringbone pattern for two reasons:
It looks great, but as importantly,
so that the pizza peel has no lateral minute seams to catch on.

 After scribing the exterior, the bricks are cut to the arc and replaced.

No mortar is used in any of these steps.

For restaurant or bakery ovens, a subfloor is laid straight.
Second floor goes on top, herringbone pattern

Double floor ready for dome build




3 comments:

  1. I tryed to ask a question about floor insulation for a outdoor oven can you use just foamglas? Ihave read that i was only good to 900 degrees

    ReplyDelete
  2. To answer your question belatedly, Yes it is rated at 900F. In order for the surface of the bricks under the oven floor to exceed 900F, the oven would need to be considerably higher for a very long time which means your baked products would be charcoal. In 40 ovens, I've never had a structural or thermal failure with Foamglas whereas some ceramic board products have gone to mush when water got into them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering if you have available a cutting list for a 36'' oven I don't think I could make a oven like yours and cannot get tapered bricks around here but I think It would be helpful. I think you should make a video and sell it how you make your ovens is amazing .

    ReplyDelete